Wednesday, March 26, 2014

It's a short distance....

... between an urge and an action in students these days.  As a wise person once said, "He's just a twitch waiting to happen!"  (Credit must go to my big brother for that.  You truly are a wise man, Mark Davis!)  I had the opportunity to sit in a classroom with some high school students yesterday.  Wow!  I'm rethinking my calling.  Maybe our focus needs to be on how we install a filter on students who apparently have had no filter their entire lives.  They think it... they blurt it out... they do it... they touch it....  They can't seem to help themselves!  Maybe what we need to do is just slow the speed down slightly, to give them time to think before doing.  A pause button, maybe?  I truly don't know.  But I do know that there is a need for this... at least here in my district, and I suspect everywhere else, too.  At least in the United States.

I'm not long on solutions, but my eyes were truly opened.  So now that the eyes are open, I will be looking for ways I can suggest to slow down the pace... just a little.  To give students time to think....  Think before they speak... think before they react... think before they twitch.  Suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment